I lifted him up and carried him home, tears streaming down my face, shocked and stunned! I showed him to Molly and Spike. Molly was an expert ground sniffer and thoroughly examined him with her nose. I asked her “what happened to him?” She started tracking in our yard. She ran to the back corner of the fence. It was the same area where I first met Scooby as a tiny puppy 3 years ago. She started sniffing the fence with a fury. I followed her and saw the blood. He was bit by something at the fence he guarded. Blood was on both sides, but it appeared as if something had reached over the fence and grabbed him. I opened the gate and took her out. She began moving back and forth in short motions for about 10 feet and as I followed her I saw blood smattered, zig zagging. He was being shaken by whoever grabbed him. He broke away and ran across the street where he wedged himself under the pine tree and died.

Thanks to Molly I knew what happened and why he crossed the street, but who did this to him? I could hardly put one foot in front of the other to take Molly back home. He guarded me, patrolled the fence for me, walked everywhere with me and died in the line of duty patrolling our fence.

I began asking my neighbors if anyone heard or saw anything. I found what I was looking for. A neighbor down the street had a 140 lb. Wolf hybrid. The neighbor opened his fence in the middle of the night to let the wolf run free. The wolf came home with blood on his face, but the neighbor did not know where the blood came from. The Wolf was so large that he was able to reach over our 4 foot fence and grab my dog and pull him right over the fence. It may have started because Scooby tried to bite his feet. He would have done that!

Grief stricken from losing Scooby to such a horrifying tragedy, I laid in bed completely in shock for the next two days. I was the teaching assistant for our science department and my teachers expected my work to be outstanding. I had a research paper due on Monday, yet I struggled to move, eat or even talk. I was so upset. I did not protect him! The dogs often stayed outside when the weather was good. There were three of them and I did not understand why I didn’t hear anything. While petting Spike, I found bite marks on his ears. He must have tried to help Scooby. It must have happened so fast. It happened at the far corner of our yard and farthest away from the bedroom. I missed him so much!

I discovered that in the 1980’s it was not acceptable to grieve for pets. They were just animals and we should “get over it” and move on with life. To me, animals shared more love than any human I had ever met. Scooby was gentle, kind, funny, intelligent and filled with pure unconditional love.